SharePoint Consulting – Business Process Automation with Workflows
What are the Pain/Problem Points?
- Paper based forms (PDF, Word or Excel)
- Manual processing – emails or walk paper forms around for approval
- Poor auditing controls around approval processes
- Information is not easily accessed as it exists in paper form.
What is the Risk of a Bad Solution?
- Poor overhead or inefficiencies
- Approvals take a long time due to inefficiencies and slow processes
- No auditability
- Confusion around status of process. (e.g. is the request approved).
What are our Solutions?
- We create custom process automation solutions utiiizing the Microsoft Platform: InfoPath browser-based forms to collect information about the process and the SharePoint workflow engine as the business logic and routing engine.
- Our Business Analyst consultants work with the Business users to understand the business case and process and then recommend and implement the appropriate technology to solve the problem.
Sample Automated Business Processes
- Employee onboarding to streamline the hiring of new employee’s by using a workflow to pass a ‘new hire’ form to the relevant departments to fill in their section ultimately ending up with the new hired employee. The process can perform processing tasks to automatically create Active Directory accounts, interface with HR systems and provide checklists to ensure tasks don’t get forgotten.
- Capital Expenditure request to ease the request approval of expenses. A request form to be filled in with detailed information including attachments, cost details and full business case. The submitted form is routed to the appropriate management staff via the business workflow logic for approval and signature (digital signatures are available). The workflow process can be simple (single manager) or tiered to several managers based on the cost of the expense and other criteria.
- Automate collaboration for reviewing documents. A workflow can be used informally to review documents with colleagues.
- An event or training course (either internal or external) sign up and reminder workflow to track users who sign up to events/courses. The form looks up external data and can have logic to determine eligibility of event/course to sign up to. The process manages the required events to plan and deliver the event and ensures the attendee/student is reminded about the event and how to get there.
What are the Results and Benefits?
- Tighter controls
- Increased efficiencies by automation of manual processes
- Streamline processes (approval, review, archiving, custom)
- Timely information and better visibility into the process(es)
- Drive adoption of process by increasing ownership and accountability
- Compliance to standards (Governance).